June 7, 2011

June 7th: poutine

Every summer, chip trucks on every corner, I get a craving for the ultimate deep dish, gluttonous, comfort food found north of 49: poutine. Glorious hot crispy French fries, squeaky fresh cheese curds, drenched in salty gravy, and oh yes, I'm one of those who also adds ketchup. So, so good. So, so bad.


The only way to dilute the guilt, ever so slightly: make it homemade. Oh yeah. I've done this before, but it's been years, and I was sure I could do better now. I was right. This took some prep work though.


First, I needed gravy. For this, I needed a roast. I made a roast beef before I went to Edmonton, but I didn't get enough gravy out of it for the experiment. So this past weekend I made a chicken, and did a better job of gravying it up. Here's my super simple but ever so tasty and salty chicken gravy recipe:


Pan drippings from chicken. (If you make my favourite chicken recipe, on a rack in a pan, you'll end up with quite a bit of juice in the bottom of your roaster.) Place drippings in saucepan and whisk in 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour. Place pan over medium heat; whisk in 1 cup (250 mL) chicken broth and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Strain and let cool. Can be refrigerated for a couple of days, after which you can scrape off the top layer of congealed fat and reheat the rest.


Once the gravy's done, the rest is a breeze. I make my favourite oven French fry recipe (Greg would add you should leave them in the oven longer to get them crispier, I say burnter). Top the hot fries with fresh cheese curds (plug: St. Albert's) and then pour on the gravy with a liberal hand. So, so yummy. Let your curds come to room temp first if you have time.


O's petite serving.


Greg added *cough processed cough* smoked meat to his.
Which is worse for you: poutine with ketchup or poutine with smoked meat? Hmm...


I felt like maybe I should have something on the lighter side to accompany, so I made a sugar snap salad from June 2010's Chatelaine. This was a second go-around and it's getting tossed. Good but not great.





7 comments:

  1. You're awesome for making poutine...but I suggest save yourself the hassle and come get some at La Belle Province with me in Montreal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you par boil the potato slices just a bit and dry them and proceed as usual they will be crispier. I don't always remember this step but when I do I am always pleased. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom: see my link above for the fries: boiled for 2 minutes, dried, then baked. That's why it's my favourite. But Greg is ultra particular; I don't know where he gets this; maybe years of, "okay, what's your critical opinion?" on everything I ever make, ever.

    Natascia: I kind of regretted the poutine when I couldn't sleep last night because it didn't sit so well in my belly. Oh, to be 20 again... We ARE coming to Montreal, sans Olivia, to see U2 on or about July 8/9.

    ReplyDelete
  4. REALLY?!? :D Awesome! Please shoot me a message beforehand because I'd love to see you two if possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. also if, after you parboil and dry the potato slices, you then dip them in small batches into pots of hot oil, they get even crispier. :) aren't I hilarious?

    L

    ReplyDelete