June 16, 2011

June 16th: java steaks, sugar snap almond pilaf

My favourite part of tonight's meal was this Sugar Snap and Almond Pilaf from June 2010's Chatelaine. I didn't have almonds, so used walnuts, and I added a bit of butter and Knorr chicken broth to the rice water, but otherwise, I followed the recipe and it was deelish.




Aside: In the last month I've become a *runner*. Ha, double ha. See, last summer, Greg joined the Running Room, got all caught up in this whole running thing, started losing weight, fell in love with the sport, injured himself, healed, ran ran ran and ever since, has been nudging me to give it a go. I do not have a natural runner's body. I'm short, with short legs, I'm not graceful and I don't move quickly with ease. Give me BODYFLOW any day. To add to the pressure, my friend Janice got a job downtown in the building next to mine. She spends her lunch hours running. Therefore, to spend time with her, run I must. And so, around the beginning of May, she set out to train me to become a runner. News Flash: running is actually jogging. But I've irked Greg and Janice enough with that line I won't push it any further. But it is.


In any case, the whole reason I bring this up is tonight, Janice and I went running. I was midway through making supper when I had to leave the house, so Greg finished the cooking and took the above picture but forgot to take a picture of the steak. Well anyway, you know what a barbecued steak looks like. The really important thing is that you should give this steak recipe a try; it has long been one of our favourites. We keep a bottle of instant coffee in the house for this recipe alone: from June 2005's Chatelaine: Java Steak Rub. No need to look up the link, here's the recipe:


Java steak rub: Stir 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) instant or ground coffee granules with 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) each freshly ground black pepper and cumin and pinches of salt. Rub into strip loin, sirloin, porterhouse or T-bone steaks before grilling.


That's it! So good. Wish I had a pic to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment