June 11, 2011

June 10th: asparagus soup

I make this asparagus soup about once a year when local asparagus are everywhere to be found. I pulled it out of the Ottawa Citizen years ago and it goes like so:


Local Asparagus Soup


1 kg asparagus, trimmed and well washed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tbsps chopped fresh chives (optional)






Cook asparagus in a deep skillet of boiling water for about 2 minutes. Chill under cold running water to set colour. Drain well. Cut off and reserve 12 tips for garnish. Dice remaining asparagus.

Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add onion. Cook gently for a few minutes until tender and fragrant. Add stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently, covered, 5 minutes. Add asparagus and cook 3 to 5 minutes longer, or until asparagus is tender. Add salt and pepper and purée until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Serve soup garnished with fresh chives and asparagus tips.

Makes 6 servings.

Hand-held immersion blender.
Bit of a hot soup splatter disaster, but got the job done.

I couldn't get my asparagus tips to float on top of the soup.
The one visible in this picture was the fourth one I'd added to this bowl.
O was at my side, ready to jump to my aid and get her fingers all through my bowl.
I declined.





No comments:

Post a Comment