November 9, 2010

November 9th: Double mushroom risotto

Verdict:
Keeper: mushroom risotto

Meat Free Tuesday: a re-try from November 2009's Chatelaine: Double Mushroom Risotto. This is a rather decadent weeknight meal, and it is fairly labour-intensive (lots of stirring) but still on the quick side. I like to make it just so Greg and I can say "risotto" like Gordon Ramsay and pretend we're on Hell's Kitchen. Greg offered to throw my risotto in the trash (Bin It!) if it wasn't perfect. I declined. Besides, I think Ramsay might give mine a pass. Maybe.

This risotto is quite delicious, and that's why I'm keeping the recipe, but I think it might make a better side or starter (like on Hell's Kitchen!) rather than as the main dish. Problem is, it makes a lot, so unless I'm hosting a dinner party, we're going to be eating risotto for days on end. And the recipe doesn't divide well, unless you have a way to use up half a carton of chicken broth, half a bunch of chives and half a package of dried mushrooms. Hmm.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy... but why are you dating your posts for October??

    ReplyDelete
  2. will have to try this, not something I have made before, but greatly enjoyed some at Leslie Manuel's house a couple of years ago. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, there's yet another sign that I am far too tired when posting.

    Note: I HAVE FOUND A WAY TO USE UP LEFTOVER RISOTTO. Will post more later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tasty stuff! I messed up and forgot, you know, the mushrooms. But still good. Also, frequently, your recipes are like, "this makes a lot of food! leftover for days!" and there are four of you, and then I make the same meal and eat it all myself in one sitting....it does terrible things to the self-image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, the girls have teeny appetites, and you have a Sellerian appetite. But still. Nana probably never told you to watch your waistline. Not that I've every heeded that advice.

      Delete