November 30, 2010

November 30th: Quinoa-broccoli salad

Verdict:
Toss: quinoa-broccoli salad

For all you who always ask me for a good quinoa recipe: this is a good one! I know, I just wrote "toss" up there, but you know how it goes, my criteria is a bit tighter than most. Most's? Whatever. It's late. Anyway, I made this riff on a broccoli salad tonight, which I have to say, is not as good as the broccoli-bacon-cheese drenched in mayo salad, but might leaving you feeling a bit better about yourself. Here it is (from the Ottawa Citizen):

Broccoli and Quinoa Salad

1/2 cup (125 mL) quinoa, rinsed
2 cups (500 mL) chopped broccoli florets
1/3 cup (75 mL) dried cranberries or raisins
1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted roasted sunflower seeds
1/4 cup (60 mL) mayonnaise
1/4 cup (60 mL) plain yogurt
1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon zest
1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
1 tsp (5 mL) honey
pinch each, salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a saucepan, bring quinoa and 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) water to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender and water is absorbed. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.

Add broccoli,* cranberries and sunflower seeds to the quinoa.

In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon zest and juice, honey, salt and pepper. Pour over quinoa mixture and toss to coat.

Makes 6-8 servings.

*I recommended blanching your broccoli 1-2 minutes prior to adding it to the salad. It's my personal preference to have the broccoli a little more tender than raw.

Not the most appetizing looking, I know, but it's good!
Complete meal.

2 comments:

  1. What's is the mushroom mixture? Just fried or is there a recipe? We have a big pkg of mushrooms that I need to use. On Come Dine With Me last Sunday (UK version) there was an appetizer of mushrooms over crostini which the guests raved about. I found the episode on line but not the recipe, it may too old from when it aired in the UK.
    I LOVE quinoa so hope to try this sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mushrooms are just mushrooms, fried. I needed to use them up.

    I forgot to say, I also recommend chopping the broccoli a bit smaller. My broccoli pieces were so big, they were a mouthful on their own.

    ReplyDelete