November 9, 2010

November 8th: Salmon cakes, Lemony snow peas and Herbed couscous

Verdict:
Try Again: Lemony snow peas
Toss: Salmon cakes and herbed couscous

Monday night quick meal: from November 2010's Chatelaine: Salmon Cakes with Lemony Snow Peas, and from Cooking with My Kid: Herbed Couscous. This was a decent meal, with a bit of prep time, but it's necessary to do all the work up front as it comes together quickly. The salmon cakes were good, but I'm still reminiscing over the AMAZING fish cakes Mom made when I was home this summer, and nothing resembling a fish cake will live up to that memory for some time to come. The couscous, despite copious amounts of butter and oil, was just okay, I thought. I may have mentioned a few times though, that I'm not much of a grain person.

But the snow peas, mmm. I will make these again, with much more garlic than the recipe calls for. This takes all of 2 minutes to cook, so a really easy side dish for another night.

2 comments:

  1. I just read the salmon cake recipe last night and thought I might like to try it. So you are not saying don't make it? It seemed like it had ingredients that it's OK if I don't get it made for a few days, which happens to me all the time. Best laid plans and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, go ahead and make it. It's good, just not keeper-good. And yes, canned salmon keeps better than fresh, quite convenient.

    ReplyDelete