November 8, 2010

November 5th: Proscuitto rolls, bread sticks, Italian mussels

Verdict:
Try Again: bread sticks
Toss: prosciutto rolls, mussels

Friday. A little change of pace from pizza night. Our pizza nights have been making a lot of leftovers, which Greg has been dutifully eating, and apparently even he has limits on the amount of pizza he wants to eat, so when I suggested a change this week, he was all for it.

From November 2010's Chatelaine: Prosciutto Salad Rolls were easy to make and gorgeous to look at, but were a little on the boring side, taste-wise. That was my opinion. Olivia ate four of them and Greg said they were a perfect blend of sweet, salty and tart, so I appear to be outvoted on these. I'm tossing the recipe anyway. Sorry, kids.


From Cooking With My Kid (my new go-to website, apparently!): Parmesan Bread Sticks. I messed these up. I made pizza dough from Chatelaine (I've fallen back on this one after a few weeks away), but I forgot to weigh it, and I believe I made my bread sticks twice as big as I should have. I still have half the dough in the fridge, and I intended to try again with smaller sizes to see how they turned out, but the weekend slipped away from me.

Finally, from Holiday 2009's Chatelaine: Italian mussels were a re-try from last year. This recipe, mussels in a tomato sauce, is now hitting the recycling pile. Really, the best mussels are those dipped in garlic butter. My one suggestion for this recipe is that if you do try it, definitely use a strong-flavoured or spicy tomato sauce; I didn't, and the sauce was bland (it does get watered down in the cooking process).

1 comment:

  1. I think most seafood should just be eaten as is with some garlic & butter, fancy recipes do not enhance mussels, lobster etc in my opinion. I guess shrimp is an exception . . .

    ReplyDelete