July 3, 2011

July 1st: Morning Glory Muffins

With Canada Day falling on a Friday, I felt a little ripped off, as I always have Fridays off and now I (a) don't have an extra day off for the stat holiday and (b) couldn't get all my Friday stuff done that I usually get done, since nothing is open. However, on the upside, my BODYFLOW class was cancelled, so I did get a relaxing Friday at home with Olivia, which is a rarity. Greg went golfing. O and I made muffins: these were brought to my attention by H., who is making a trip to Forks, not for the first time. They would make good road food: on the relatively healthy side, fairly filling and not messy.


These come from allrecipes.com: Morning Glory muffins, loaded with carrots, pineapple, walnuts, raisins, coconut and apple. I made some alterations to healthy them up: 1 cup whole wheat flour swapped in for white, sugar reduced from 1 1/4 cups to 3/4 cup, I used unsweetened applesauce and I left the peel on the grated apple. I meant to use unsweetened coconut but only had sweetened. I wish that I had thought to sprinkle flaxseeds on top before baking. Next time.


I have a touch of  a cold and thought they tasted on the plain side, but others assured me that was not the case. I'll have to try them again to make sure. The recipe makes 2 dozen.


We enjoyed these again on July 2nd: breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment