July 22, 2011

July 18th: potato salad

Today I went out for supper, so nothing to report on cooking there, but I did lunch with two friends, and we each brought a dish to share. This was the best home-cooked lunch I've had at work, possibly ever. My contribution was my mom's recipe for potato salad, which, in my not-so-humble opinion is the best potato salad that exists. Here's the scoop:

Potato Salad

1 tsp dry mustard powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 heaping tbsps flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup vinegar

Whisk all ingredients thoroughly and cook in the microwave or double boiler,* stirring frequently, until thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Thin with Hellman's mayonnaise.

*Until now, I've always made this in the microwave. Recently, our 10+ year old microwave went kaput and we haven't bothered to replace it. I didn't bother with the double boiler, just cooked this on the stove top. Frequent stirring is key.




I have no recommendations re: how many potatoes to cook. I cook as many as I want, then add some of the above dressing and some mayo until the consistency and taste are where I want them to be. A bit of salt and pepper is good. Green onions are a lovely addition to the salad. I like to go old school, boil up some eggs to slice up for the top and load on the paprika. 


HERE'S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: do not, I mean DO NOT mash the potatoes. Once they are cooked and cooled, chunk them up. All the stirring with the sauce will break them down a bit more, but we are not making baby food here! Then, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. This is the best potato salad in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment