April 8, 2011

April 8th: fruit smoothie, popovers

One of my and Olivia's favourite post-workout snacks is Booster Juice, but it's not always a feasible option. I've gone through many phases over many years of making fruit smoothies at home--usually in the summer--but always fall off the band wagon with time. Olivia is a good motivator: I'd like her to know we can create delicious, healthy, fruity beverages at home. Today, after a long morning of gym time and grocery shopping, O and I were definitely ready for a pick-me-up when we got home. I made the following fruit smoothie from the Dairy Farmers of Canada, which was quick and yummy, on the not-too-sweet side, and tided us over until lunch was ready:


Wake & Shake


1 cup (250 mL) milk
1/3 cup (75 mL) yogurt (I used sweetened plain)
1/4 cup (60 mL) frozen blueberries
1/4 cup (60 mL) frozen strawberries
1/2 banana
1 tbsp (15 mL) ground flax


Blend all ingredients until smooth. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.




I've never really known what popovers are until tonight: what they are is ridiculously easy. I shouldn't say a recipe is foolproof if I've only made it once, but I don't see how this could be screwed up. Four ingredients, cold oven, half an hour later: heaven in the form of an eggy bun. I made a batch of 8 and they lasted 6 hours. I expected to have leftovers for tomorrow but no, they were irresistible. I made them to serve with garlic butter roasted mushrooms, and that was good, but I liked them even more with butter and jam. Delicioso. They definitely need to be eaten warm though; once they've cooled off, I recommend heating them up again prior to eating. This recipe comes from December 2010's Canadian Living: Perfect Popovers.


View from the top.


The underside.



No comments:

Post a Comment