April 21, 2011

April 19th: roasted mini peppers with goat cheese and balsamic vinegar

My main dish tonight was a bow tie pasta dish, but I wasn't super impressed with it, so I thought I'd skip writing about it and instead write about my side, which was made out of leftovers. I halved some mini peppers, tossed them with oil, salt and pepper and roasted them at 400°F for about half an hour. Once done, I peeled off the skins, topped with some goat cheese, drizzled on balsamic vinegar and that's it! I liked this better than the stuffed mini peppers on the weekend, and it was easier to boot! Sometimes the best things just come out of my head.




Then, wouldn't you know it, my husband came home, late and tired and hungry, and declared the pasta the best. So now I have to share the recipe, just in case you agree with him rather than me. Adapted from the Ottawa Citizen:


Butterfly pasta with Simple smashed tomato sauce


8 oz Farfalle (bow tie) pasta (half a box)
2 tbsps olive oil + 1 tbsp (optional)
2 sausages, removed from casing (optional)
1 1/2 pints (3 cups) cherry tomatoes
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
3 tbsps chopped fresh herbs (I used fresh basil), or 1 tsp dried
1/2 tsp coarse salt
freshly ground black pepper
freshly grated Parmesan cheese or cubed fresh mozzarella


Cook pasta according to package directions.


Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; if using, add sausage meat and take the time to break it into small pieces (about 2 minutes). Add tomatoes. Cook, stirring a few times, until tomatoes begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add onion; cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Gently smash tomatoes (carefully!). Add herbs, salt and pepper to taste; cook 1 minute. If sauce looks dry, ladle in a couple scoops of pasta water before draining the pasta, and add another tablespoon of oil if desired. Drain pasta; stir into skillet with the sauce until coated. Sprinkle with cheese to taste, adjust seasoning and serve hot.


The sausage, pasta water and extra oil were my additions.



No comments:

Post a Comment