March 29, 2011

March 29th: Eggy Quesadillas

I was running late for supper tonight and didn't have time to make the meal I had planned, so I decided to try out this quick egg quesadilla from 101 Cookbooks. I didn't know if I would like it, but it sounded like a quick and filling meatless main, so I thought I'd give it a go. After reading through the comments a couple days back, I had already landed on the version I would make, which is:


Eggy Quesadilla


oil
1 lb mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1 white onion, chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper


oil
1 egg
pinch salt
1 tortilla
a bit of freshly grated Parmesan and Mozzarella
freshly ground black pepper


goat cheese


Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. When hot, fry mushrooms and onions until softened, 5-10 minutes, reducing heat if necessary. Season to taste.


Meanwhile, heat oil in a small skillet over medium. Beat the egg and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. When the pan is hot, add the egg to the pan let it set for just 10-15 seconds. Place the tortilla on top of the egg while the top of the egg is still a bit runny, so it should attach to the tortilla as it sets. When you feel like the egg has set enough not to run, flip everything. Sprinkle with Parmesan, Mozzarella and pepper to taste. Cook until the tortilla is nicely browned.


Fold the tortilla in half, top with some of the mushroom mixture and goat's cheese.


Serves 1, with enough mushrooms for 4-6 servings. Multiply as required.


I served this up with a hearty salad. Surprisingly, I loved this meal. It definitely needs to be eaten while hot and fresh, but yum! If you look at the original recipe, you will see this is quite different. I used mushrooms just because I had some that needed to be used up anyway. The great thing about this recipe is, it is completely versatile and you could use whatever ingredients you like.


2 comments:

  1. Auntie Pea coming to the CapitalMarch 30, 2011 at 9:05 AM

    Sounds yummy! I love eggs for supper. What are you making me friday night? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know yet, but I'll come up with something!

    ReplyDelete