March 21, 2011

March 20th: broccoli salad, veggies & tortellini

I have a broccoli salad recipe that I L O V E, that came from Jane (Y. L., not M.). Here it is:


3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
2 heads of broccoli, cut into pieces and blanched*
1/2 red onion, finely diced
10-12 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese

In a large bowl, stir together first three ingredients. Add remaining ingredients, stir until combined, and if there is time, let the salad sit to develop flavours.

*My preference, always, is to blanch the broccoli for one minute in boiling water, then plunge in cold water to stop the cooking. Perfectly al dente every time. I do this for every broccoli salad I make.


Unfortunately, this recipe is high in sugar, salt and fat, and I feel sick every time I eat it. Alas. So I try broccoli salad recipes every time I come across a new one that sounds good. Tonight, I tried one from March 2011's Chatelaine: Broccoli-almond salad. This one has no bacon or cheese, adds in some toasted almonds (yum) and lightens up the sauce a great deal. The apple cider vinegar adds a distinctly different flavour than the white vinegar, which I like. I found it a little light on sauce and would recommend making a bit extra. Also, blanch your broccoli. Otherwise, I think I have a new winner. Definitely no ill feelings after eating this one.

Also for supper, I altered a pasta recipe I found in March 2010's Chatelaine: Bacon and veggie ravioli. Here's my version:


Veggies & Tortellini



  • 700-g pkg tri-colour three cheese tortellini
  • 1 small or 1/2 large onion
  • 2 sweet peppers, preferably yellow or orange
  • 2 tbsps olive oil
  • 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
  • salt
  • 142 g baby spinach
  • 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan (optional)
  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add tortellini to boiling water. Cook according to package directions. Meanwhile, slice onion into thin strips and coarsely chop peppers.
  2. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium. Add onion, pepper and tomatoes. Sprinkle with pinches of salt. Stir occasionally, until onion is tender and tomatoes begin to soften, about 5 min.
  3. Drain pasta, then return to pot. Add tomato mixture along with spinach to pot. Stir often until spinach begins to wilt, about 1 min. Serve and top with a sprinkle of Parmesan.
I purposely make my garlic bread look like store-bought,
just to amuse myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment