March 15, 2011

March 15th: caramelized-shallot mashed potatoes

Bright and early tomorrow, I'm on a plane to Calgary, then driving to Canmore for the next couple of days. I can't tell you how excited I am to see the Rockies in person.

Greg took Olivia to the hockey game tonight. The Senators are failing miserably these days, but with seasons tickets, you can't pass up a game.



With the two of them out of the house, I had all the time I needed to pack my bags for the trip--whoa whoa whoa, let me correct myself: pack my BAG because bloody Air Canada only allows one checked luggage these days. Don't get me started on my airport/airline/flying beef(s).

While I should have been packing, I instead took the time to cook up a comfort meal as I face down three days of eating out. I don't much enjoy eating out, other than at really, really good -- read, expensive -- restaurants. I generally figure I am a better cook than a whole lotta cooks out there.


So, I roasted some sweet peppers and sesame-encrusted salmon, and to accompany, I made, from Epicurious, Caramelized-Shallot Mashed Potatoes: mashed potatoes with cream and caramelized shallots. I love potatoes, and I love onion in all its forms, and this is a yummy, rich and creamy onion-potato dish. Highly recommended.

If you're thinking those shallots are suspiciously purple, I was short on shallots so used some red onion to get the full two cups.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome picture of the Sens fans....the potatoes look good too. S.

    ReplyDelete