March 1, 2011

March 1st: Mushroom-Barley Pilaf

Egad. I have just realized that I didn't post a "Best of February." I was so conscious of March 1st being my six month anniversary, and I wanted to get a few updates onto the blog for the big date, that I forgot about my end of month duties. Will get to it, but not tonight...

Tonight: from November 2010's Chatelaine: Mushroom-Barley Pilaf. This was a "seasonal side" recipe that I thought would make a tasty main, and I was right. It was creamy and risotto-like, so much so, I decided to grate some Parmesan on top and that was a good way to go. Greg thought it would have been better without the cranberries; I thought it could have used twice the amount. Divergent views, as usual.

Adding barley to the onion-mushroom mixture.

It never looks as good as in the magazine.

Steamy hot and ready for eating.

3 comments:

  1. It will never look as good as the magazine. I have been on professional food shoots and you use yummy stuff like shellac to make food look appealing in pictures. And you sub in perhaps a creamy maple sauce instead of gravy 'cause it photographs better. You never take a picture of the real honest-to-goodness edible food as it won't look good enough. So you can make your food prettier by makiing it taste terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: pictures: I know. Our camera is on its last legs and I lament it every day. I may not be a food stylist, but I am more hampered than I would like by the camera we have.

    Re: birthday: Thanks! Good day. :)

    ReplyDelete