January 30, 2011

January 30th: Ginger-lemon beef and broccoli

I have, for almost seven years, planned all my meals from one week to one month in advance. I usually have a rough sketch of the month done up, with vacancies that get filled in as we go along. Of course, recipes get shifted and occasionally dropped as we move through the month. My fancy planning tool is my milk calendar, of which I get two every year: one with the paper, and one with Chatelaine. On occasion, I try one of the recipes in the milk calendar, almost without fail resulting in disappointment. I don't know what it is, but those recipes tend to suck. Tonight, I got sucked in again; I thought the February 2011 recipe, Ginger-lemon beef and broccoli, looked tasty, so I made it. The result was less disappointing than some in the past, but not good enough to try again.


I made some mushroom fried rice to accompany. I know some of my readers aren't into mushrooms, but they are something we love love love and love (for all you BODYFLOW-ers). For the mushroom fried rice, I made some of my Knorr chicken broth-enhanced rice to begin with (half white rice, half brown--my concession to eating brown anything is to go halfsies). Then I fried up sliced mushrooms and diced onion in safflower oil and stirred in the hot, cooked, rice for a couple of minutes. On the side, I beat an egg, tempered it with some hot mushroom-rice mixture, then stirred it into the rice. Finally, I topped off the whole ensemble with a splash of sesame oil. The result was pretty tasty.

2 comments:

  1. What's the deal with safflower oil? That's about the third mention I have seen of it in a week or so, and I don't believe I have ever heard of it before. What's the difference? And do Canadian farmers grow it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In January, Chatelaine had an article on "15 new superfoods," one of which was safflower oil. I like oil so was game to give it a go. It comes from the safflower plant (surprise, surprise) and grows in dry climates, so yes, it is grown in Canada in the prairies (mine is a product of the US though, oops). It is neutral tasting, so I've been trying it out in places I might otherwise use canola oil. It is a superfood because it, "increased lean muscle, stabilized blood sugar and torched belly fat," according to a study.

    Here is the superfoods article:

    http://www.chatelaine.com/en/article/22968--15-new-superfoods-you-should-start-eating-now

    ReplyDelete