January 2, 2011

January 2nd: Roast beef dinner

Fear not! The vegetarian recipes for 2011 are coming. This week, though, I am heading out of town and need to leave my little family some leftovers to eat. We got in the habit of eating too much processed meat towards the end of 2010 and I'm scaling that way back now. Thus, cooking a roast to provide sandwich meat for the week. On the menu: Sirloin Roast, Caramelized Onion with Tender-Crisp Green Beans, and Parsley, Currant and Pine Nut Pilaf. This is a shortened version of the Classic Holiday Menu found in December 2010's Canadian Living. I made a few minor changes: sirloin roast in place of standing rib roast, and raisins in place of currants. My green beans were not the best, but that's what you get for buying so-called fresh green beans in January. One change to the recipe that I would make: no need to add salt to the beef gravy; I did and found it too salty. Olivia must have liked it though; she ate all the meat off her plate before touching the rest of the food; this NEVER happens. Greg swore this was the best meal he'd had in ages, and I loved it too. The rice was surprisingly delicious. All will be tried again!

3 comments:

  1. I wish we lived closer. I would pay you for your leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're not all worth money, I assure you. This meal, however, definitely worth the money. We had rice leftovers which I devoured the next day. I must preface this (oops, too late) by saying: (a) I hate leftovers and (b) I hate rice leftovers more than any other leftovers. I heated up a huge bowl of leftover rice and ate the entire thing without sharing a bite; it was that good. I think you (and everyone else) should make this rice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I generally love rice as a leftover, so will do!

    i would accept free leftovers also.

    ReplyDelete