January 11, 2011

January 11th: Toad in the Hole & Oven-Roasted Grape Tomatoes

You know Nigella Lawson, right? Beautiful, sensual, food-loving goddess? How could I not cook this recipe of hers that was in the Ottawa Citizen back in November? The name is everything Nigella is not: Toad in the Hole.* How disgusting does that sound? As it turns out, it is simply sausage patties with a popover crust, baked in the oven. A simple variation on a meat pie. Apparently this is not a traditional Toad in the Hole, but I've never had any version with which I can compare it. It comes from Nigella's latest cookbook (not that I have any), Nigella Kitchen. To accompany, I made Onion gravy, for which I have included the recipe below, mashed potatoes** and roasted tomatoes. For the latter, I followed this recipe from December 2010's Canadian Living: Oven-Roasted Grape Tomatoes, which were recommended as a side to sausage patties. Seemed like a good fit.


*N.B.: temperature and weight conversions included at bottom of recipe on N's website (N, because we're practically best friends)
**I am on some crazy mashed potato kick recently. I have not enjoyed mashed potatoes for the past 15 years or so, yet recently I am making them all the time. What is up with that?

The verdict? Good, not great. The popover tasted much like the dumplings my mom used to put in stew when I was a kid and sorry, Mom, I love almost all your food, but I've never liked dumplings. G&O liked that part best. I thought the gravy was good, and O ate up her onions (yay!) but G found the gravy too onion-y and the onions too sweet (my bad; I forgot to buy onions so used a Spanish onion that was kicking around, and I shouldn't have added the sugar but wasn't thinking about the higher sugar content of the onion itself). The tomatoes were a definite hit. So, sorry N, but I'm tossing your recipe. Here's the gravy recipe, included in the newspaper but not on the website, hmm:

Onion gravy
Warm 2 tbsps oil in a skillet; cook 2 onions, peeled, halved and very finely sliced, until soft (about 10 minutes). Add 2 tsps sugar, and let the onions cook, caramelizing a little, 3 minutes. Stir in 4 tsps flour, then 2 cups chicken broth. Leave to warm and thicken, stirring occasionally.

7 comments:

  1. You're wrong. Mom's dumplings rock. Joel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mum always called them dough-boys. I hated them. Raymond would eat as many as she could fit in the stew.

    Way to be unequivocal, Joel. (Did I spell that right?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes to the spelling.

    I was raised with "dough boys" also. However, I don't know that everyone would know what that means, thus the use of "dumplings."

    Food can be divisive, clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To weigh in, I LOVE dumplings and/or dough boys as you choose to name them. Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, yeah, we all know I'm the only Sellers who isn't a carb addict (potatoes exluded).

    ReplyDelete
  6. carbohydrate: its what sellers crave
    (modified quote from a mediocre movie)

    L

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Kirsten, there is someone else who isn't fond of dumplings, maybe Zachary since he is the only one who hasn't weighed in on the subject. Also Liam didn't really say what he thinks of them. Oh, yes, musn't forget Aaron, but he likes most everything. Mom

    ReplyDelete