January 16, 2011

January 15th: Kid-friendly party food

Olivia has a birthday fast approaching. Saturday we threw a little party for her in advance of the big day. I made a few kid-friendly party foods that I saw on an episode of Ricardo and Friends when I was in Winnipeg. It was like it was meant to be: I was trying to figure out what to make for O's party, and R had an episode in which he hosts a kids' party. Magic! I tried out three of his recipes: Sweet & Salty Party Mix, Strawberry Slush and Mexican Layered Nacho Dip. For the most part, my kid will eat anything, so I don't normally worry about having "kid friendly" food in the house for her. However, this is not the case for all children, so I was trying to be mindful of this when choosing food. I think I did okay with the cheesies, fruit and veggies. I couldn't fully commit though: my egg salad and tuna salad sandwiches had "green stuff" in them: celery and green onions. I chopped them fine though!

I liked all three of these recipes and will make them again. My kid liked the slush made with Perrier; the others preferred still water. The nacho dip may not have been ideal for kiddies (I used medium salsa and old Cheddar; I couldn't help myself!) but the party mix was favourably received.

Super happy (almost) birthday girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment