May 9, 2011

May 7th: Mushroom risotto with peas and haddock

I've already blogged about a mushroom risotto I like, but I think I like this one a bit more. Less salty, which is a plus, and a bit easier to pull together. Still time-consuming, as a proper risotto must be, but not unduly laborious. This is a recipe I modified from one featured in the Ottawa Citizen in May 2010. It originally came from Chefs Duncan Ly and Laura Kennedy of the Raw Bar in Calgary. Yum yum:


Mushroom risotto with peas and haddock


2 tbsps olive oil, divided
1 small onion, diced
1 large portobello mushroom, diced
1/2 cup arborio rice
3 cups hot chicken stock, divided
1/2 cup peas
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 tbsps unsalted butter
1/4 bunch fresh chives, chopped
2-4 haddock fillets
salt and pepper


Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté about 10-12 minutes, or until onions are tender and translucent. Reduce heat if onions start to brown. Add mushroom and sauté another 5 minutes. Add rice, stirring to coat with onion-mushroom mixture. Sauté 3 minutes.


Stir in 1/2 cup hot chicken stock. Cook and stir until stock is absorbed, maintaining the mixture at a gentle simmer. Add remaining chicken stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until stock is absorbed after each addition. This process will take about 25 minutes; the rice will be cooked but still firm in texture.


Stir in peas, Parmesan, butter and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside and keep warm.


Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F. Heat remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season haddock fillets with salt and pepper. Place haddock in the skillet and cook for about 4 or 5 minutes, or until bottom of each fillet is golden-brown. Using a spatula, flip haddock over and place pan in preheated oven for about 4 more minutes or until haddock is cooked.


Divide risotto between 2-4 plates. Top each risotto with haddock fillet.

Serves 2-4 (The recipe says it serves 4 but I could pretty much eat half of it myself)


The recipe called for halibut, but I used haddock. Although my husband told me a week ago, the last time I cooked haddock, that he doesn't like fish, tonight he said the fish was amazing. Say what now? Impossible. He didn't used to be so picky. Too many years of living with me, I think.


Though it's not readily apparent, we had a salad on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment