October 11, 2010

October 9th: (mostly) vegetarian Thanksgiving feast

Verdict:
Keepers: sweet potato mash and Brussels sprouts in cream sauce

Thanksgiving weekend calls for rich, homey comfort foods. The challenge: how to cook such a meal without including meat. Why, you ask? Why not! I've been looking forward since last year to re-trying two recipes from October 2009's Chatelaine: Sweet potato mash with crunchy pecan topping and Brussels sprouts in Parmesan cream. These two recipes combined are rich enough, and work enough, that no fancy meat is required for this meal. Accompanied by roasted beets, fried zucchini and boiled yellow beans, we had a fall harvest meal in the making!

We spent our Saturday of the Thanksgiving weekend in the usual way: hike in Gatineau Park, ice cream at La Cigale and a rich feast to finish the day!


The Brussels sprouts recipe is not actually vegetarian, but could be altered to be so easily. The sweet potatoes taste like sweet potato pie minus the crust. The whole ensemble was so delicous I ate till I thought I would burst; I just could not stop! My only mistake was with the beans: I cooked them to a perfect tender-crisp state, drained them and set them back on the hot burner, which I forgot to turn off. By the time I realized my error, they were burnt and stuck to the bottom of the pot. We ate a few off the top and tossed the remainder. But really, what would Thanksgiving be without a mistake or two?

1 comment: