October 17, 2010

October 15th: Blue cheese and pear pizza

Verdict:
Toss: blue cheese and pear pizza

Since I started Friday night pizza night two weeks ago, I've been waiting for the question which finally came this week: When do we get to have pepperoni and cheese? Alas, my search for the perfect pizza recipe is not wholly appreciated by those who detest blue cheese. In my house, that is only Greg: O and I enjoy blue cheese, which I discovered has excellent melting properties. However, because I am an accommodating spouse, I made Greg's pizza with goat cheese instead of blue, however, goat cheese doesn't really melt, so he missed out.

The pizza I made came from October 2010's Chatelaine: Blue cheese pizza with pears and arugula. Olivia was hilarious as I prepared it: "What's this? I try some. What's this? I try some." And so she sampled blue cheese, goat cheese, arugula, pear, raw pizza dough, lemon juice, and mustard and lemon dipping sauce. She liked it all, except for the arugula. She ate up her piece of each pizza with gusto. In the end, even I found the blue cheese a bit too strong for my taste. It was nicely contrasted by the pear, and the strong lemon and mustard dipping sauce also muted the blue cheese a bit, but it was still a lot of intensity on my taste buds and so, into the recycling with you.

My intention this week was to make pizza dough from Eat, Shrink & Be Merry, but I hadn't noticed that the recipe calls for quick rise yeast, which I don't have, so in the end, I made the same pizza dough as last week, but added 3 tbsp ground flaxseed to the dry ingredients, as that was the biggest difference in the ESBM recipe. This was good. I shall continue to use this recipe in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment