October 4, 2010

October 3rd: French Onion Soup

Verdict:
Keeper: French Onion Soup

From October 2009's Chatelaine: Fabulous French onion soup. It really is fabu too. I made the mistake of making this in the past with sweet onions, which were not good. This time around I used one white and one red and those were good choices. I don't seem to have wine on hand for cooking much, so I just used more beef broth in place of the wine, which likely doesn't give it as much depth, but ah well. This is a good soup, and although it takes a bit of time for cooking, is relatively simple in its preparation.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks so awesome. I love French Onion soup. With all the cheese and wine at my disposal, I should be able to make this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered today this meal is totally lunch-able. Toast bread, as per recipe, then top with cheese and broil again. Pack soup and bread in separate containers. At work (or wherever): heat soup. Put cheesy bread on top and heat again. Eat. Surprisingly good. This was my 3:30 p.m. snack today. :)

    ReplyDelete