October 14, 2010

October 14th: Chicken, corn & curry soup with homemade flatbread

Verdict:
Try Again: flatbread
Toss: soup

Somewhere in the vague recesses of my memory, I know I read a book in which there was a scene where a woman was making fresh soft tortillas on a hot dry griddle outside in a courtyard. This must have taken place in Mexico or South America. I've been scratching at my brain all evening trying to remember where to place this memory, but it remains inscrutable. Ever since reading that scene, I've hung on to that nugget of information that homemade tortillas are possible and possibly easy. That thought has been floating around the back and bottom of my head, under other more pressing information, for years I believe.

Tonight, I tried making tortillas for the first time. It was not a complete success, but there is definite potential. I'm going to try it again, and maybe make portobello fajitas to stuff into them. I made two recipes from October 2010's Today's Parent: Chicken and Baby Corn Curry Soup with Easy Flatbread. The chicken soup was good but neither G nor I were very excited by it. We felt bad for the recipe, as it didn't stand a chance when we were still full from our lunch at Town, a hot new restaurants in Ottawa and where we went as part of our movie-and-lunch-anniversary celebration. So, we'll toss the soup recipe. To go with the soup I made flatbreads, which are thinner than a Greek flatbread and more tortilla-like in consistency. Next time I intend to divide the dough up a bit more, really flatten it out and try to make thin tortillas with it.

4 comments:

  1. Could it be "The Pearl" by Steinbeck?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, that would be an impressive feat of memory if it were the case. I believe I read The Pearl in Grade 12 (1996-97) and I remember not liking it, and I don't remember if I had to read it again in university. I was thinking maybe it was something by Hemingway and unless I am off the mark, I think Steinbeck and Hemingway have some similarities ... one of which being I don't recall enjoying either. (With apologies to Shannon and Aaron.) My answer is ... I still don't know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm - I thought Hemingway as well at first, but the only book of his that I've read that is set in a Spanish environment is "The Sun Also Rises" - which is more about bullfighting and less about the environs of Spain - and Hemingway's not descriptive enough for that to stick in my brain.

    I read "The Pearl" in high school and again in University and I'm pretty sure there is a scene with a woman making tortillas during a somewhat torture-filled agnst narrative...

    But then it could be a more modern book - if you're anything like me, I have to read the back to remember if I've read it and even then sometimes I don't remember it, so I read it again. I read while distracted often, so I sometimes don't retain as much as I should :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. **Warning** Plot spoiler

    Torture and angst and a dead baby. The Pearl is a horrible story.

    I borrowed several books from Mom this summer, took them back to Ottawa, started to read the one she most highly recommended and realized I had already read it. So yes, I do that too. :) I do most of my reading on the bus while listening to my ipod; I think that counts as a distracting environment.

    ReplyDelete