October 6, 2010

October 6th: Faux fried chicken & a host of veggies

Verdict:
Keeper: Faux fried chicken
Try Again: Cinnamon sweetie fries

Tonight was a re-try from October 2009's Chatelaine: Faux fried chicken. Very good, and good enough to keep. The recipe suggested serving this with roasted tomatoes, and I had leftover grape tomatoes from Margherita pizza night, so I tossed these on the side of the pan with the chicken. October 2010's Today's Parent had a simple recipe for Cinnamon Sweetie Fries. (Note: the link is not the recipe I made, which is not online. It is exactly the same, but add in 2 tsps ground cinnamon.) We make sweet potato fries regularly, but usually with savoury spices or herbs, like a Cajun mix, or a salt and thyme combo. Tonight's recipe called for tossing the fries with cinnamon and baking, then salting to taste. These were good, but I like the savoury variety better. Surprise, surprise, Greg thought these were the best sweet potato fries he'd ever had. His review came after a run in the rain though, which I think might increase the likelihood that all food tastes good. One thing I did differently tonight was leave the skins on the sweet potatoes when I made the fries. I will continue to do this in future. Oh! I almost forgot; we also had delish yellow beans on the side, from the local farm, and they would have been more delish if I hadn't got caught up in cleaning the play room and over cooked them. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment