September 27, 2010

September 27th: Swiss Chard & Pork Chops

Verdict:
Try Again: pork chops with leeks in mustard
Toss: honeyed swiss chard with plums

Tonight's meal was inspired by leeks leftover from September 19th's supper (vegetable saute). I went searching on Epicurious for a leek recipe and came up with this: Pork Chops with Leeks in Mustard Sauce. This recipe is going in the try again binder, with a few notes to reduce the amounts of salt and Dijon mustard, both of which were overpowering. I should note, I had intended to do the whole rub the meat with herbs and let sit overnight thing, but I completely forgot, so the herbs were rubbed on minutes before the chops went in the pan. No biggie.

With the meat we had Yukon Gold potatoes and, from September 2010's Chatelaine: Honeyed swiss chard with plums. I liked this and was debating trying it again, but Greg gave it a thumbs down and so I'm letting it go.

I should note, tonight's supper was made up of two recipes I had intended to try--separately--on the weekend, and I do not recommend cooking these on a weeknight. It took me a good hour to pull everything together, with a fair amount of slicing and dicing along the way. Lucky for me, Olivia was in a super good mood and patiently awaited her supper, entertaining me along the way with her imaginary trips to the grocery store with 15 bears in tow. And putting babies to bed, of course. It's not a good day if you haven't tucked many babies into bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment