September 6, 2010

September 6th: Ham steaks, home fries and more

Olivia and I made peanut butter cookies today from September 2010's Chatelaine: Almond-butter cookies. The recipe calls for almond butter but says any nut butter (I used peanut butter) or, if you are avoiding nuts, soy or pea butter, can be used. These cookies were delicious! There is also a video online: cookie video. I tried a few variations: I made some plain, some with peanuts, and some with chocolate chips. All were great.



For supper we had home fries, ham steak with peaches, and corn on the cob. My home fries recipe comes from Looneyspoons, which I've just read is out of print. Basically, cut potatoes into wedges, toss with olive oil and Cajun spice, then roast at 400°F for 45 minutes, turning once. The ham steak idea came from September 2010's Chatelaine, but they have not posted it online. Top a ham steak with a sliced peach or two and dollop marmelade or apricot jam on top. I used apricot jam with some ground ginger. Marmelade would probably be better, but I didn't feel like digging through the 30 jars* in my fridge to see if I have any. Warm the whole deal up at 350°F for 10-20 minutes. I'm not a big ham fan, and Greg doesn't usually like fruit with meat, but we both thought this was pretty good.

*I should really count them sometime. It's probably more.



Tonight I started making a homemade tomato sauce, which is not quite finished yet. This is a favourite from September 2006's Chatelaine: Oven-roasted tomato sauce. I have a few tomato sauces I love, but this one may be the easiest. Simple, healthy and delicious.

1 comment: