August 31, 2011

August 7th - 8th: muesli, maple-Dijon vinaigrette

I haven't been able to replicate the delicious muesli I get in the basement of my work building. I buy this muesli regularly for breakfast. I do, however, provide better service than a frown and change thrust in your face before you have a hand free to take it. I'll continue to practice cooking, but for now, my recipe, adapted from Crazy Plates, is:


Muesli


3 cups old fashioned (rolled) oats
1 1/2 cups flavoured yogurt (I use sweetened plain)
1 cup half and half (10%) cream
1/3 cup orange juice
2 tbsp honey


3 cups sliced strawberries, fresh or frozen
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
1 medium apple, grated (optional)


toasted nuts or granola (optional)


In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients. Let stand 5 minutes.


Fold in fruit. Cover and refrigerate overnight.


If desired, in the morning, top with  toasted nuts or granola.


Makes 4-6 servings.


Two breakfasts, ready to go.


Here's a simple vinaigrette that takes 1 minute to pull together:


Maple-Dijon vinaigrette


2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp honey


Combine all in a tightly sealed jar and shake. Makes about 1/4 cup.


The salad was less than stellar, but the vinaigrette was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment