January 27, 2014

January 27th: Spicy Peanut, Tofu and Spinach Stir-Fry

I wrote about this meal a few years ago, but as with many of my older posts, the recipe link no longer works, so I'll include it here again; this one comes from January 2010's Chatelaine:

Spicy Peanut, Tofu and Spinach Stir-Fry

1/2 cup (125 mL) orange juice
1/3 cup (75 mL) all-natural peanut butter
1/3 cup (75 mL) teriyaki sauce
1 1/2 tbsp (20 mL) hot chili-garlic sauce OR 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) sriracha sauce
350-g pkg President's Choice teriyaki-flavoured tofu*
1 red pepper
6-oz (170-g) bag baby spinach

In a small bowl, whisk juice with peanut butter, teriyaki and chili-garlic sauce until mixed. Set aside. Slice tofu and red pepper into thin strips. If using teriyaki-flavoured tofu, add leftover teriyaki sauce in package to sauce mixture.

Lightly coat a large frying pan with oil and set over medium-high heat. When hot, add tofu and pepper. Gently stir-fry until tofu is hot and pepper is tender, 3 to 5 min. Don’t worry if tofu breaks a bit. Stir in sauce and spinach. Remove from heat and stir until spinach is just wilted. Serve over cooked couscous, boiled quinoa or steamed rice.**

Makes 4 servings.

*Can also used plain tofu, firm or extra-firm

**I made President's Choice bulgur quinoa blend for the side dish. This has become one of my favourite sides and I often make it in place of rice or quinoa.





Unlike my picture from a few years ago, I now slice up the tofu and pepper in smaller strips than the original recipe calls for. I like it this way better.



No comments:

Post a Comment