March 31, 2013

March 27th: jam thumbprint cookies (Jam Drops)

After school, Grace, Olivia and I were looking through cookbooks for fun. I found a recipe for cookies for which I had all the ingredients, sort of, and decided to whip them up that night. They were yummy. From Donna Hay's Modern Classics Book 2:

Jam Drops

180 g (6 oz) butter, softened
1 cup caster (superfine) sugar*
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
jam, to decorate

Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the egg and beat well. Stir through the flour and baking powder and mix to a dough.

Roll 2 teaspoonfuls of the mixture into balls. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, allowing room for the cookies to spread, and flatten slightly. Press a finger into the middle of the dough to make an indent. Fill the hole with jam.

Bake for 10 minutes or until golden. Add a little more jam to the holes while the biscuits are hot. Cool on wire racks. Makes 60.**

*I used icing sugar, the only sugar I had in the house at the time.
**I made about 50. Never make my cookies quite as small as any recipe tells me!


I didn't take my time with the jam, obviously!



2 comments:

  1. I have never tried icing sugar in a cookie. Yummy. I would likely have just used regular sugar, maybe given it a whirl in the blender or something. Tbey look good and pretty easy - will try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot, having had Mom and Liam in the house that week, that they had done baking and used my granulated sugar. Usually I buy more when I know I am getting low. I had to improvise! Grandma's raspberry jam pictured above.

    ReplyDelete