April 30, 2013

April 27th: Pepita Snacks

Ah, lunches. The best part of any parent's day, I am sure, is packing their children's lunches, fingers crossed they will eat everything, or at least enough they are not starving and cranky by the end of the day. I've been trying for months to put together nut-free trail mixes that Olivia will eat, to no avail. She always eats the yogurt-covered raisins and chocolate-covered cranberries, but never the dry cereals or seeds. I've tried many different varieties.

This past weekend, I tried out a recipe from Today's Parent for oven-toasted pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds) in a honey, egg white, salt mixture. She liked them fresh from the oven, but after two days in her lunch, she was done. Ah, well. They're not bad, if you want to try them for your child, or yourself.

From November 2009's Today's Parent: Snack Clusters.





2 comments:

  1. This is a standard in my house, everyone likes. Clara also will only eat it for a day or two. It freezes well, though. Although mine is more sticky-looking than this? more like peanut-brittle chunks than individual seeds. For nut free trail mix, I mix pepitas, salted sunflower seeds, cranberries, sometimes raisins, and a few chocolate chips. J & A won't eat the cranberries, but otherwise it's usually a hit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was supposed to turn out more peanut brittle-y. Not sure why it didn't.

    O won't eat pepitas or sunflower seeds! I can send raisins, cranberries and chocolate anything. Sugar monster.

    ReplyDelete