January 29, 2012

January 25th: Cherry Walnut Bars

Greg had a bad cold this week and was out of commission. After taking on as much parenteral responsibility as I could muster, I had worn myself out by Tuesday night (okay, so I didn't muster much) and Wednesday I decided to take a sick/rest day. Wow, awesome. Olivia and I laid in bed in the morning snuggling, and looked through my Company's Coming 150 Delicious Squares cookbook, finding several we thought we should make. I took her into daycare late, spent the day tidying and resting, then O and I had fun making non-baked squares after supper.


These are cherry, walnut, coconut and graham-filled bites of deliciousness. They are also suuuper sweet; I'm going to try cutting the sugar back to 3/4 cup the next time I make them. Greg said he loved them and he's not even a cherry fan. Of course, he can't really taste anything right now. I toasted my walnuts in advance. Actually, I burnt them. I recommend toasting, but not burning.


Cherry Walnut Bars


9-12 whole graham crackers


1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk


1 1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup medium unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries, well drained


Icing
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
3 tbsp butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1-2 drops red liquid food colouring


Line ungreased 9x9" pan with graham crackers, cutting to fit if necessary. Set aside.


Combine next three ingredients in small, heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.


Add next 4 ingredients. Stir well. Spread evenly over crackers in pan. Cool.


Icing: Beat all 5 ingredients in medium bowl until smooth, adding more milk or icing sugar as necessary until spreading consistency. Spread evenly over bottom layer. Let stand, covered, for at least 6 hours or overnight until crackers are softened.


Makes 36 squares.


Icing : square = reasonable







No comments:

Post a Comment