October 31, 2011

October 21st: pumpkin gnocchi

I probably wouldn't have kept or written about this recipe except that Olivia loved it and ate two bowls, so her opinion wins out over mine in this case. Greg went away for a boys' weekend, so it was just me and O cooking up a delicious storm this weekend, and cook we did!


I made this recipe to use up some of our leftover pumpkin purée from the pumpkin cakes. From October 2011's Chatelaine: Pumpkin Gnocchi. It's really half pumpkin/half potato gnocchi, and somewhere between pasta and dough in taste and texture. Gnocchi is surprisingly easy to make, and cooks really quickly, with just a few minutes of boiling. I served it as suggested, with the sage butter, which I was really surprised O liked. I think I could have thrown some tomato sauce on there instead and she would have been over the moon.


1/3 of dough rolled and cut.


Cooked gnocchi with sage butter.


The recipe makes a lot (6 servings) and I only cooked 1/3 of the dough, so we have more in the freezer to cook up another day. I think I will try tomato sauce next time to see the reaction.


I served the gnocchi as a side dish (it's pretty dense) with French chicken and peaches as the main. Unbelievably, Olivia preferred the gnocchi over the peaches. This kid usually eats fruit before all else.




7 comments:

  1. Why did you decide to cut the dough that way? I've never seen it done before. Normally, I pinch 1/2 inch balls and roll them on a fork. Just curious about the different technique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natascia, I believe it is because she is of Scots-Irish ancestery and not Italian.

    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natascia, I have a pumpkin if you want to come out and cook gnocchi with me....my favourite Italian food/pasta of all time. Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. N: I cut it that way, because the recipe said: "Using a floured pizza cutter or knife, cut dough into 1 × 1/2-in. rectangles." My Nonni didn't teach me any better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would not have any idea how to make gnocchi, my mostly Irish background people just liked potatoes with out the wrapping. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. What have I begun??

    Psst, CURRRRRRSE-TEN, it's "Nona".

    ReplyDelete
  7. What? I Wiki'd it and everything! Wait, what are we talking about? I meant grandmother. Mom, did you think I meant mother? What does Nona mean?! Eeek.

    ReplyDelete