September 15, 2011

September 4th: Sausage Pizza Roll-Ups

I may have finally discovered the secret to whole wheat pizza dough: vital wheat gluten! I found this in the health food aisle of the grocery store, and it says on the bag that if you add 1 tbsp per cup of whole wheat flour to whatever yeast-based recipe you are making, your crust will rise, rise, rise. And it worked for me.


For starters, I made this pizza dough recipe I found on epicurious. It is an excellent dough, and may be my go-to pizza dough recipe from here on out.

With my dough ready to go, I made a variation on Sausage Roll-Ups from August 2010's Today's Parent.
I used swiss chard in place of spinach.







The crust was thin, just crunchy enough, with a delicious sausage filling. The filling is just on the dry side, so keep some salsa or pizza sauce on the side for dipping.

2 comments:

  1. I will have to do 1/2 without some of the green stuff, and perhaps this is something m family will eat. Or at least try. That's my goal, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The filling can be adapted to taste - I use salsa with mine, but you can use pizza sauce or pasta sauce or whatever works, and of course, the meat could be anything ground, and the greens could be whatever.

    ReplyDelete