April 7, 2014

March 10th: Moroccan Lentil Stew

Oopsy. Tad bit behind. Keeping this short and sweet. I wasn't going to make this recipe but Greg saw it and thought it looked good, so I made it and good thing: it was delicious! It tastes a lot like chili, but vegetarian and likely healthier. Yum yum. From March 2014's Chatelaine: Moroccan Lentil Stew.

Moroccan Lentil Stew

Heat a large saucepan over medium-high. Add 2 tsp canola oil, then 1 finely chopped medium onion. Cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 3 min. Add 2 tbsp curry paste,* 1 cup rinsed red lentils and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered, until lentils are tender and have absorbed all the liquid, about 30 min.

Add a 796-mL can whole tomatoes to lentils along with 1/2 tsp salt. Gently boil, uncovered, until stew reduces slightly, 5 to 10 min. Garnish with 1/4 cup each toasted slivered almonds and chopped fresh parsley. Serve with a fresh baguette.

Serves 4.


*The recipe called for Madras curry paste. I found this in the grocery store, and noting it had several chili peppers indicating a level of spiciness I figured my girls wouldn't go in for, I instead used the mild Indian curry paste I had in the fridge at home.




No comments:

Post a Comment