March 3, 2014

March 2nd: fish tacos

I swear, I forget the Oscars every year. You would think I would remember, because they are always the same week as my birthday, and occasionally fall on my birthday, if my birthday happens to be on a Sunday. I hate when that happens. I do not want to spend my birthday night glued to the TV. I suppose I could opt out of watching the Oscars, but somehow I never do.

That's my excuse for not blogging about Sunday night supper. Glued to the TV. Putting the kids to bed, I missed Jared Leto's speech, the only one I would have wanted to see (swoon), and I missed Pharrell Williams singing, the only song I would have like to have seen. Then I went to bed before the final three big awards were awarded. Clearly, I should not have bothered. I should have just blogged.


Alas. Sunday night I made fish tacos. I believe I've made fish tacos once before, but didn't blog about it at the time: one of my non-blogging moments. I think that time I made a recipe from November 2012's Chatelaine: Roadside fish tacos. This time, I used one from March 2014's Chatelaine: Tropical fish tacos. Going entirely from memory, I recommend the former recipe over the latter. But I'll talk about the latter here, as I can't guarantee my comments on the former.

Tropical Fish Tacos

Stir 1/2 cup sour cream with 2 tsp lime zest and sriracha sauce to taste (1 1/2 tsp for us) in a small bowl. Combine 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage with 1/4 cup finely sliced red onion and 2 tbsp lime juice in a medium bowl. Set both aside.

Pat 400 g cod fillets dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt. Season with fresh pepper. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add 2 tbsp canola oil, then fish. Cook until browned, 2 to 3 min per side. Remove from heat. Cut fillets in bite-sized pieces.

Assemble tacos by filling 8 warmed flour tortillas with cabbage slaw, fish, sour cream mixture, 2 cups chopped fresh pineapple and 1/4 cup cilantro leaves.


Makes 4 servings.


I've altered the original recipe slightly, as I found it didn't have enough sauce or pineapple, and had too much slaw. This recipe was good but we didn't love love it, so we'll toss it. I'll have to try that other recipe sometime again.




assembly line

assembled



No comments:

Post a Comment