July 7, 2012

July 4th: Rideau Hall picnic drinks

I'm on maternity leave. I love being on maternity leave in a big, big way. I am absolved from all responsibility in the working world. No one judges me for not working. I take a cute baby with me everywhere I go and everyone assumes she's a boy. I get to spend more time with Olivia than I have since I was last on maternity leave 4 years ago. What's not to love?

O and I made a list of activities to do this summer to keep us busy, entertained, and out of the house. Picnics are to happen on a regular basis. We did our first picnic a few weeks ago at the Ottawa Farmers' Market with Janice and Lucas. Amazing cheese pizza by The Flatbread Pizza Company. Wonderful baked potato by The Hot Potato Company. Drinks by I don't know, but I bought 4! It was a hot day. And of course, ice cream by Ottawa's favourite, Pascale.

This week we did picnic number two at Rideau Hall, the Governor General's residence. Beautiful grounds, large play structure, clean public washrooms, and everything for free! I kept the food pretty simple: crackers, cheese, meat by Bearbrook Game Meats Inc., devilled eggs and apple walnut cake for dessert.


And drinks, lots of drinks, all from The Yummy Life. I have seen this blog linked several times recently on Facebook and decided to try out three drink recipes: banana-strawberry oatmeal smoothie, raspberry-lime water, and cold coffee. All were good.


I can't vouch too much for the smoothie, as I can't eat raw bananas. O said she didn't really like it. I might try out another flavour combo.


I added a bit of sugar to the water, which was tasty and refreshing.


I guzzled the coffee, made with milk and sugar added. I pay big bucks to get similar drinks at Starbucks, Second Cup and Tim Hortons. I plan to try more recipes from this site!

Hot baby cooling off in the shade.

Cutest kid in the world.


6 comments:

  1. I want to be your child. Care to adopt me for the summer so I can partake in these activities?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful picnic!! I'm working my way up to leaving the house for longer than 10 minutes at a time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natascia: Yes! Or, at the very least, you and Shannon can move your gnocchi-making date to my house, as Greg will be out of town next weekend. I could use the company.

    H: Give it time! At six weeks, things get easier, and at three months, they get waaaay easier. I love three months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't eat raw bananas?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They make my mouth/throat itchy. Figure it's some kind of allergy. Cooked is not a problem. It started years ago but I kept eating them, and the itchiness became worse and worse until it is now not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just googled it. Oral allergy symptom, and in the same family as my birch pollen allergy, which also gets worse with each passing year. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete